PulseCode is a PCM drum machine that pays homage to the sandy, lo-fi sounds of the late 1980s. PulseCode takes a different approach to “sample-based drum synthesis,” using operational overlay concepts based on various techniques used by manufacturers of that era to produce massive drum sounds.
All sounds supplied with PulseCode were sampled in 12 and 13-bit vintage equipment to stay true to the era. A gated reverb has been applied and each sound includes its own sampled 13-bit reverb layer recorded on a vintage device with a repeating period of time. These methods can usually be tedious and time consuming, but with PulseCode this is the tenth thing. The usual sound of a big drum so widespread in the 80s and often played in EBM, Industrial, Electro, Coldwave, SynthPop and Synthwave in PulseCode can be used for experiments and can be easily transferred to uncharted territory for a more modern approach to these styles.
Added Psychic Modulation Brutalist Drums Expansion Pack for PulseCode WiN OSX
Here’s a quick overview of some of the key PulseCode features: Drum
Technology – Each drum sound supplied with PulseCode consists of several layers that can be mixed and customized to create unique drum sounds. Add the Grit parameter for the lo-fi crunch. Add the Hit parameter for the top hit. Add the Body parameter for low frequencies. Add reverb for great sound. Add noise where necessary.
Resampled for maximum crunch – All layers of each sound have been re-sampled using vintage equipment to create a truly authentic sound with many characteristics. Each sound has a special Grit layer designed to bring in the most crunchy aspects of classic lo-fi sampling.
Gated Reverb – Each drum sound includes its own reverb layer, captured from a block of vintage effects and resampled from a classic sampler. The reverb can be altered, filtered and gated, giving your drums the perfect backdrop for this famous 80s sound.
Pattern Sequencer – PulseCode uses a versatile 64-step pattern sequencer to create and execute rhythms using interesting accents and loses. Each drum can change its speed and length, making the creation of polyrhythmia easy. Pattern offsets allow you to adjust its starting point, with the ability to create four different options that can be launched in real time.
Flow Option – Instantly transfer and modify static sequences using a single Flow control. The Flow parameter can be adjusted and shifted to modulate volume, attenuation, and pan. Complete this by adding some instability to the sequence.
The Fracture parameter allows you to change the rhythm with the help of builds, breaks and wild stuttering, using a single control for each reel. Slide the knob to the right to build insanity, slide to the left to completely collapse the sequence. Release the control and it will start working again.
Fill Arpeggiator – Create custom beats and rolls that you can play on your midi keyboard, perfect to the beat of your pattern sequencer. Use the Velocity Grid to give some movement. Pitch Envelope will swing the pitch up or down for classic drum roll effects. Set the speed independently of the sequencer for fast rolls or slow flickers. Play multiple drum notes at the same time to create cyclic arpeggios and unusual grooves.
Drum Mixer – Mix the entire beat with individual volume and pan, and redirect each drum to its own audio channel to add external effects.
Full control – Assign Fracture parameters with Pitchwheel, Flow with Modwheel and Pattern Offsets with just one slider, and all this while playing the arpeggiator on the keyboard, and you will completely control the drum machine.
• 8 Drum Engines for loading up a variety of Sound Elements
• Each Element is made up of 6 layers: Core, Grit, Hit, Body, Reverb and Noise
• All layers of each Element have been sampled in 13-bit using vintage gear
• Compressor, Filter and Saturation per Drum Engine
• 64-step Pattern Sequencer with lane for each drum
• Unique Pattern Offsets for creating variations to your patterns
• Multi-parameter Accents for each step
• Individual Speed and Length for each Sequence Lane (allows polyrhythms)
• Adjustable Flams per step
• Flow: controls the movement and rhythmic flow of each sequence lane
• Fracture: momentary buildups and breakdowns using snap-back controls
• Drum Mixer with Multiple Outputs for each drum
• Drum Fill Arpeggiator for automatic rolls, fills and more
• Pitchbender & Modwheel integration of Fracture and Flow
• Tight sync to Host tempo and position
• MIDI Learn and automation of most parameters
• Sub-presets: separate load / save settings for Drum Engine and Sequencer
• Double Click Parameter Reset
• Intuitive patch management system
• Default bank of 128 example presets
• Includes several Sounds Elements to start out
• More soundpacks will be available in the future